1 cup grated khoya (mava) 1/4 cup powdered sugar 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (elaichi) powder 1/4 cup pistachios, blanched, peeled and chopped a few saffron strands For the garnish 2 to 3 slivered pistachios
How to make Khoya:
1 litre full fat milk
1. Heat the milk in a non-stick pan on a high flame till it comes to a boil.
2. Continue simmering while stirring continuously till it becomes semi-solid.
3. Cool and use as required.
Method: Combine the khoya and powdered sugar in a heavy bottomed pan and cook on a slow flame, while stirring continuously till the sugar has dissolved and the moisture has evaporated (approximately 5 to 10 minutes).
2. Remove from the fire, add the cardamom powder and mix well. Allow it to cool completely.
3. Divide the mixture into two portions, 2/3 and 1/3.
4. In the 1/3 mixture, add the pistachios and mix well.
-- In the 2/3 mixture, add the saffron strands and mix well.
6. Divide the pistachios mixture into 8 equal portions. Shape into even sized rounds.
7. Divide the saffron mixture into 8 equal portions and shape into even sized rounds.
8. Stuff each saffron round with the pistachio round and seal the edges completely.
9. Make designs on the peda using a toothpick.
10. Garnish with slivered pistachios.